Thursday, July 2, 2009

IT'S ALIVE! (for real)


Wow. Deep breath. Nine months later. NINE. This really was like giving birth. Maybe you know what I am talking about here, maybe not, but clearly you will in a second. Everything you have or are reading here, is all part of a much larger picture that I am pretty stoked to say has finally 'kicked off' (heyoooo!).

It all began sometime at the end of last summer, early fall. I had bought out a friend of a friend of a friend's TFC season's tickets, and had already committed in my head to continuing on with it for the '09 season. As I've mentioned in the past, my background is in design, specifically print and layout. So when I thought ahead to this season I said to myself, "You should really dork out next year and become a total TFC-loser and eat, breathe, and live this team - what is the best way to do it?" ... FANZINE!!! But of course! I had done them in the past, and having the tools to whip it together pretty easily I knew I could pull this off, at least on the production end. When I excitedly told this to my one other work colleague (in web/media/marketing) who follows football he was into it. I felt pretty good and started figuring it out in my head. But like all ideas this one grew and grew. Fanzine? Cut and paste? Think big Spark, think BIG. Oh yes ... magazine! Never mind I'd only need at least $50K to kick it off, this was one sweet daydream I didn't want to end. A Canadian football magazine focusing on the teams, players and clubs that make up the game in our country. It could work. So again I tell the aforementioned colleague who looked at me and said the operative word(s): "Why would you do all that when you could do it online and accomplish the same goals for FREE" Now that term of course is being used loosely, but in comparison to a print job that might run $10K, yes, this is free.

So I, but then with the ear of and eventually help of colleague, made the first baby steps to getting this off the ground. The most obvious first step: BLOG! Oh yes the infamous blog. I am a blogger. Which means self-appointed media/journalist/super important person because people can read what I say (AKA AUTHORITY) on the internet. Check out those early days. Man was I bored. I needed to kick it up a notch. Step 2: PODCAST! You've seen the words, now you can hear the voice! Shit by April 2009 I was becoming the total package. But occasional blogger/podcaster just wasn't cutting it. I needed a bigger title, one that commands attention and power and can be used to pick up women: Comandante!

Eehhhh or maybe Publisher.

Which brings us to July 1, 2009 where the much 'bigger' idea has launched but has again only started to take shape. Imagine the picture at the top, but instead of a full sized adult, it was just a child (monster child though) that is going to grow into a full sized adult monster. It's only day one (well starting day two since it's now past midnight) and up to now what feels like a super long journey, is only just beginning. What you see below has a very simple, clear and honest mandate - to give football exposure in Canada. The pieces are coming together and we are confident that we can achieve this. Kinda overwhelming but I wouldn't have it any other way.



We just came back from a meeting on day one and my head is spinning on the potential this has. Looking forward to tomorrow, watching Team Canada and keeping this up to date.

REDS!

No comments: