Sunday, January 10, 2010

From Triumph to Tragedy

With the new work routine still taking some getting used to, this might sound crazy, but there is one reason why I miss the 1+ hour commute.

Well ... it's the commute. Because there is nothing better to do on a long streetcar/subway ride than listening to podcasts and reading books. I was in a really solid routine for over a year of listening to three/four different pods (WSD, Football Weekly, The Game, Footy Show) and getting through books like it was nothing.

This past week I realized that I haven't downed a football book since November. Well that is just unacceptable. So when I thought about it, the only place that seems to have a somewhat reliable section is the World's Biggest Bookstore. Not a huge fan of Chapters/Indigo, but you gotta do what you gotta do. When you don't have the patience to wait two weeks for an ebay victory to arrive, this will do.

So today was only -4 and sunny so I hopped on my bike and rode out to the other side of town to check out the selection.



Well wtf, they had it all ... that I already owned! So if you want some of the good stuff: Brilliant Orange, Fever Pitch, Soccer in Sun and Shadow, The Miracle of Castel Di Sangro - it's there right now. So this is great if you need these but I'm looking through the rest and I don't really care about Graham Poll's book or biographies of players still playing (Michael Owen?! Who cares!?!). This was tough. But there are quite a few books and finally I stumbled across one that I wanted:



This is right. I am going to try and commit myself to reading up on Brazil as well as World Cup 'centric' books for 2010. I'm feeling the Verde e Amarelo, which is weird because I look horrible in both colours but what can you do? Fabiano, Diego, Kaka, Melo, Maicon, Alves ... I don't know man, I'm just feeling these players and can't wait to watch their games.

So the edumacation begins. 2010 is going to be an awesome year.

No comments: