Thursday, January 15, 2009

Draft day!



Wow all that hoop-la about "you can guarantyyyyyyy ... GUARANTY (insert car salesman in 10-Gallon hat) TFC will trade it's top picks!" was all for not. No #1 pick, no Adrian Serioux. I'm trying my best not to rehash the same draft promise felt from last year but right now I'm thinking TFC came out in a pretty good spot.

I know everyone is saying "why Sam Cronin, we don't need him", and heck maybe he's just trade bait but we definitely picked 2 of the best prospects in their positions and 2 of the best coming out of the combine. We have two midfielders (Robinson & Guevera) who are up there in age so why not get a player who is said to be ready to play and could anchor the midfield years down the road? We already know Guevera will not be playing every game next season with Honduras into the next round of World Cup qualifying, so now we won't have the same situation as last summer. I just hope we also get the guy who did that amazing portrait for his TFC Bio. O'Brien White apparently would not have lasted to #13 so it seems like we had to snatch him at #4. I am good with that - I think he is worth the risk because I did not think we'd solve our goal scoring situation from the draft.

I am feeling GK Stefan Frei at #13! I haven't watched anything on him so I'm just going on the hype but I'll be straight up and say I'm not sold on Sutton, he makes great saves but is THE WORST distributing the ball out of the box. I liked Edwards last season but it just sounds like Frei has more of the goods. And he's related to Alexander Frei who is amazing! This guy has pedigree!! If Edwards earned the right to start games over Sutton last season and Frei is as good as all the pundits are saying, I'm thinking this guy's definitely going to play next season.

The one thing I'm interested in seeing is how much it gets mentioned that 2 years in a row Mo has drafted a player who has opted out of MLS. Last year we picked Joseph Lapira and this season, one of the potential top picks, Mike Grella from Duke. He's going to test the waters in Europe but if it doesn't work out he's ours! I think this is a great move considering by the third round whoever you draft most likely isn't going to be playing for you anyways. So we either draft a guy who's going to suck and we cut him, or we pick a top player who might not pan out overseas and his rights are ours. Grella is a better pick than Lapira because Lapira is an Irish International so would most likely want to stay in Europe regardless of the league (like the norwegian 2nd division!) just for proximity.

So here I am, deja vu all over again. This time it feels different though - whether we keep all three or make a trade I feel like we came out with bare minimum ONE player who will play next season. HEY WHAT HAPPENED TO A CB!?!?

No comments: