Monday, January 5, 2009

Happy New Year!

BOOM! Here we are ... all those posts referring to "the '09 season" - now I can say THIS season! I assure you that was the first thing on my mind at midnight. Anyhow, hope everyone had a fantastic holidays, as I was far away from my computer and in no position to be blogging. Luckily for me, it looks like there wasn't much at all going on in TFCland for the last week and a half. As I and many other more "professional" writers have noted, this is the week where supposedly there is to be some more BIG MOVES (aka SPLASH) for Toronto.

Now I know that I have previously said I will not write about speculation or feed the rumour mill, but you will be glad to know my new year's resolution is to blog more unconfirmed information!

The date originally thrown around for this big move was tomorrow (January 6). De Rosario was traded to us mid-December but has yet to arrive and dawn the red jersey for the press. It has been speculated that this was because nobody is around over the holidays to make this official, AND that it could possibly be looking like he would be announced in the new year with another signing. With the MLS draft quickly approaching on January 15, it is possible that we could be seeing another trade for one of our early picks. I've read here and there possibilities of a DP being signed - if that is the case I would also expect to have one of our picks dealt as well. In fact, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if a deal had already been made. I mean, almost NOBODY knew about DeRo coming here until that exact day. Is it that far of a stretch that a second deal has already been struck, we just had to wait until everyone return from vacation to make it official?



That is one of the men being tossed out there. Well, I mentioned below a scenario that could play out is trading one of our top picks (probably #2 - which many are saying represents Omar Gonzalez, D from Maryland) for an established CB because we'll know what we are getting - unlike Julius James who was touted to be "MLS ready" and did not live up to that. Adrian Serioux not only is a Canadian international but also from Scarborough, just like De Rosario. That could be the big news - two local boys coming home to take TFC into the playoffs - and we still have room for our DP (striker?). If Serioux is the man, it's actually kinda funny the full circle this has gone:

TFC take Serioux in expansion draft - TFC trade Serioux to Dallas for Ronnie O'Brien - TFC trade Ronnie O'Brien to San Jose for their #2 draft pick - TFC trade #2 draft pick to Dallas for Adrian Serioux

Whoa damn my head is spinning!! Not sure if it's from spending too much time in Montreal or from the possibility of the above!! I guess we'll find out, hopefully by tomorrow!

No comments: