Monday, September 14, 2009

Can't Stop. Won't Stop.

A busy weekend finally over and now rolling into the usual weekdays of working 9-5 then 7-11. Is blogging considered work? I say yes. Well it is when you are wearing red plaid and have a beard. I have both. Still feeling a bit wiped from a non-stop weekend, which always feels that way when TFC play a home game.

Now that the insane schedule is over from April and May, that one game a month really stands out. And it makes it 10X more important that when I get a chance to add something to RNO it gets taken advantage of. With a completely bananas week of drama with TFC (they suck on Sunday, Dichio retires on Tuesday, Grass imminent on Thursday, De Guzman signs on Friday, and they rule again on Saturday) there was so much to talk about.



The shitty thing was that my two co-hosts for East Side Stand Up (This name IS NOT about that ridiculous chant, which they don't do on the East Side of BMO - they prefer THE WAVE) were out of town and true to form I left trying to find guests to the last second. This has happened a few times this season and I resigned to the fact that I just wouldn't do a podcast. But this time I had in the back of my mind the guys from Some Canadian Guys Talking/Writing About Soccer who I recall reading a post a while back about their podcast on hold or on hiatus so I thought, maybe they'd be up for getting a podcast in and talking shop. Well needless to say it all worked out and they brought along Ben Knight from Onward! to boot! That was pretty cool considering I think that in the first two seasons of TFC (you know, before the 'recession' ruined football coverage in the newspapers here) his and Morgan Campbell's columns were the best in the city.

When we do our podcast it's usually focused on analysis from the game in question from the three of us who all sit in the same section. Tim has a great sense of seeing the game from growing up in London following West Ham United. Stephe has played the game at a high level and still plays to this day and I'm really into Championship Manager. So together I think we can cover alot of different perspectives of what went on that day. But it was really cool to listen to Ben, Squizz and Jamie give their take on TFC - not just from where they watch at BMO but as fans of the team and in the media. You don't always get to sit in a room (well I don't) and talk like that so it was pretty sweet.

But even before that - within two weeks of my last appearance on Norman James THE HOOK I got the call again. Football was the topic of the week and this time Norman hooked (heyoooo) us up with something like 20 minutes on his show. Seriously check out his blog and see how fast this show is growing. One of the reasons we started RNO is because the media in Canada has football (especially Canadian football) as such a low priority, or 5th page news if you will. Regardless of whether or not we are on this show, it is awesome to see that someone is out there willing to give it 5, 10, 15 or 20 minutes of exposure. I'm really grateful for being included in that show, but most importantly for the fact that I own the all-time guest appearance title!!

That is right - and you are right Norman, Saturday night I did drink to that!!

No comments: