Thursday, August 6, 2009

What we be talkin' about?

I like to fancy myself a bit of a nature photographer. All things that mother earth brings us: beautiful skies, water, birds, trees and GRASS.

Oh my. So yes I am that guy. The one with the camera at the stadium dorking out taking pictures of a grass field - is this what it has come to as a TFC fan!?! All I have to get excited about is beautiful, lush, green monocotyledonous (ok I wiki'd to get that one). I realized pretty quick what a nerd I was so I only snapped off two pics. LOOK!


And of course since MLSE is so pinched, they have added a few seats up north. I mean $175 is peanuts so we gotta try to make our money back and don't forget this game is like seeing the Rolling Stones at the El Mo! WTF?! Pretty sure Bill Wyman didn't go backstage after half the set while Danny Bonaduce finished the concert.


Can't say I give a rats about this whole Real Madrid weekend. I got my "RAH RAH" email from TFC just now and those things make me puke. I remember the one for River Plate about their storied history and what a great deal this was, which should have just read, "Come see TFC players get injured against some of South America's most promising sixteen year olds!!"

Anyways unless you can't tell, I'm firmly in the camp of hating these friendlies, this one in particular for too many reasons to count (But for starters reasons 1 and 2 - I hate Ronaldo and Real Madrid). Anyone who thinks there isn't a cash grab then you can head on down to watch them PRACTICE for $15. You get to watch them PRACTICE for $15. I could say it over and over to emphasize how utterly ridiculous, shameful and petty this is, but instead I will leave you with some words a very wise man once said:

"I mean, listen, we talkin about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, we talking about practice, not a game ... Not the game we talkin about practice man."

4 comments:

Michael said...

whoa chill out dude. enjoy it while it lasts. whether you like it or not, it's a big day for our football club.

friendly yes. biggest club in the world yes.

spark said...

Hey man, the blog's called "SeeingRed" - I gotta stay in character!

Unknown said...

Watching the Whitecaps host mid-season friendlies in 2006 against India's National Senior Team, China's National U-20 Team, English First Division Cardiff City, and in 2005 against newly promoted English Premier League Sunderland AFC; inspired and motivated the Whitecaps (and their fans) and were the key to turning around those two losing seasons.

After watching many lacklustre matches in USL-1 that lulled many to sleep, seeing our team compete well against formidable foes and having the Whitecaps staff include players that sat on the bench most of the season, we were treated to many spectacular displays and breakout performances that were easily seen to bring the team together and raise their confidence.

This year (and last year), the mid-season was to be dominated by CONCACAF matches after we should have won the Voyageur's Cup and since that honour was pinched by Toronto FC this year and the Montreal Impact the year before we have seen our team’s moral fall to a new low. This season our Whitecaps are fighting to make the play-offs and great players used to winning are not doing well. Wesley Charles is the obvious example but there are less obvious examples in the form of more injuries and inconsistent play that contributes to short tempers on the field.

Challenging mid-season friendlies to help improve team moral are far more important than big ticket draws versus the best teams for the owners to make a fast buck.

If Toronto FC is inspired by the friendly, then it will be worth every penny and the inconvenience; if it turns into a freak show that only helps the owner line his pockets in the short-term then it will be a mistake.

I am almost willing to suggest that the Whitecaps not compete in the Nutralife Championship in 2010 in order to avoid huge mid-season disappointments and go back to hosting 'fun' moral building mid-season friendlies.

This is just my personal rant about the loss of ‘fun’ in Canadian pro-soccer.

Anonymous said...

You-can't-kill-me

Wow...well put.