Sunday, August 23, 2009

Recovery Room

Wow. Well after last night I'm not sure who was celebrating with these on Friday night more - myself or TFC.


Who knew the starting XI of TFC all had the same BDay weekend as me! What else could explain how after 15mins everyone looked like they were nursing a massive hangover. "Oh man I just tried really hard, ok well i'll take it easy now for a bit". We've harped it over and over the schizo nature of this club, how the second things look pretty good and I have to admit even though we predicted a 1-0 victory it took everything I could think of to not just throw up my hands and say "come on it's a road game against a western division team - we lose 2-0." Well they say listen to your instincts and my instinct right now says we are going to get WHOOPED in Seattle.

I took it easy last night even though I was officially one year grayer, Friday night was when I made a mess of myself. Not to talk about age or partying, but to keep it on the topic of this blog. A few sweet things came through the mail this week that is worth sharing, most notably this:


Pretty much anything of historical reference I'm totally in to, so when Brother Lemoine (check blogroll - the Canadian in a City of Angels) sent me this the reaction was nothing more than "whoa!" Argentina '78 was something else and if you check out the reviews tab, more than one book in there covers that World Cup. Brilliant Orange talks about it from the Dutch perspective and Soccer Against the Enemy from the socio/political end in Argentina.





Now that I'm on the topic of items of historical reference, I might as well show these. A month or so back on my trip to Barca I went to the Nou Camp and the tour was ok, but what I was into was this wall of all the membership cards. It's cool seeing an evolution of design from the past 100 years all on these little 3.5X5 cards.


So as I was walking around the city a few days later ... ok I was going to not specifically mention this to keep as my own secret for when I go back, but hey, I live to give, so I'll pass this one forward. At the main cathedral (you can see in the pic) they have an antique market and there's only two rows of stalls/tents but if you walk down the middle row there is a lady that has these two glass cases and in them is pretty much every Barcelona Membership card from the past 80+ years, as well as tickets to numerous international games from the past fifty years. Well I nearly shit myself.



There you have it - the 50th anniversary membership card, one from 1954 and the 25th anniversary of the Nou Camp 1982 Membership card. A pre-birthday present for myself (fyi they cost 20-30 euros. ouch) BUT in that I also saw this ticket (photocopied in the photo) and thought to myself - oh my buddy rick who works for RedNation, his kids are part Hungarian, this would be cool so they could have a memento to know they have football in their blood from both sides of their family. Well holy shit, do you know about this game?? Look it up. 100,000 people - the first game England loses at Wembly, and in the midst of Hungary's 3-4 year unbeaten streak. Anyway, look it up and if you decide to visit beautiful Barcelona, maybe you could check for me if she has another one of those tickets :)

No comments: