Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Knee Jerk?



Keeper Sutton out. San Jose Defender Nick Garcia in. Striker Ali Gerba ... ? *please hold*

Well there are a few ways this news can be spun but I'm going to do my best to keep it positive. Really the one thing that grinds me is that we had to wait until we were in the shit to make some moves. Maybe I'm just a pro-active kind of guy, but the timing on this feels a bit like 11th hour/damage control. Draw your own conclusions, or non-conclusions from everything last week and the weekend but I can't think of one trade/acquisition TFC has made that we haven't heard about ahead of time, which to me says first thing Monday morning this was in the works. The reason(s) why I'll leave to you, but I think the picture above sums it up. The fact remains, we didn't address crucial issues with this club until the last second. We're in year three of our supposed "five year plan" and we've just made essentially the same move we did in year one (a move for an experienced central defender). I really don't think there is any plan in place and we're stumbling around in the dark just plugging holes when they arise.

*DEEP BREATH*

Ok got that off my chest. Now onto a positive. The one thing that I am happy about is bringing in an experienced defender (whoa just had a flashback to '07), not a converted midfielder. Nick Garcia was on the MLS Cup winning KC Wizards of 2000, played in the back with Jimmy Conrad for several years and Captained San Jose. That in itself should be a good sign. The only bad sign is I get the feeling this wasn't part of proper scouting or an actual long-term master plan but was a kind of "Hey Mo, we need a guy quickfast - you got any ideas?" "Yeah I played with this guy at KC, I'll make a call right now!"

I won't comment on Ali Gerba until it's official but I have mixed feelings and have heard mixed reviews. Given the number of teams he's played for and up and down numbers, I'd put him as a 'hopeful' striker, rather than consistent, proven one - which is what we need. BUT if he comes, hell, all he has to do is convert 1/4 of his chances and that's better than Chad Barrett!!

It's tough luck about Sutton because he's Canadian and likable but with Stefan Frei being the better keeper and Brian Edwards proving last year he is very capable, all that's left is the math - aka $150K salary for a back-up. Frei is with us a few years, Edwards keeps developing as a back-up (wait, a plan?) and when/if Frei goes to Europe as some speculate could happen, BINGO we've got our very own (ok maybe poor man's) Steve Young or Frank Reich waiting in the wings!

Garcia is supposed to be here for Saturday's game against NYRB who have yet to SCORE AN AWAY GOAL. TFC Magic 8 Ball predicts a 1-0 win for TFC!

No comments: