Sunday, June 21, 2009

Re-evaluation


Wow so I'm still (slowly) coming down from Thursday night's victory over Montreal. Still watching the highlights over and over, thinking about the phone calls/text messages made during the game of "OMG! ... HOLY SHIT! ... IS THIS FOR REAL!?" and yelling to my roommate "YOU HAVE TO COME SEE THIS, YOU WON'T BELIEVE WHAT IS HAPPENING!!" I know all caps are annoying but I was in fact yelling and it is legitimate emphasis. The one thing in particular though that is sticking with me from that game was the performance of De Rosario, Guevara and Dichio, the leaders for pretty much the whole team pulling it together to put out an amazing night of football.

The hot and cold or completely bi-polar emotions and performances this team has provided has been hard to deal with so far this year. Games I was hoping for all out war (Seattle, Chicago, even Houston) we came out flat and listless. Games we should have buried our opponents (Dallas, LA and to an extent Montreal and Vancouver) we left them in the game and paid for it in the end. Thursday night though I really felt for the first time we saw Toronto FC play with guts, grit and desire. It was inspiring to watch and, given what has gone on with the club/organization over the last few weeks (and to another extent from the second home game), has definitely made me rethink what it is I, as a supporter need to do to support the likes of De Ro and Dichio who wear the TFC jersey for all the right reasons but not bend over (or give all my banking information) and blindly follow the suits who run this team. The banner here really says it loud and clear - we don't cheer for the red to keep MLSE in the black. This is about the warriors - the gladiators (not tennis players!!) *insert Ray Hudson voice here* and definitely not to please the accountants who report to the board.



So as I've thought about it I've realized that the picture/stance at the top is no longer necessary, not that I planned on it during the hottest months of the year! Even though I wore black at the last two home games, one was a CCR shirt so I looked pretty fucking cool if I do say so myself. For real though, I now realize that I can and will separate the game from the corporation. If the likes of De Ro, Serioux and Frei are going out on their shield, giving half time interviews in the biggest game and comeback of their season they deserve to be cheered on my feet as loud as I can (until I get thrown out, but that is another story). The best way for me, I feel, to keep MLSE in check and on notice is not giving them my wallet (head's up Beer Store!) and keeping forums and mediums like this honest. For example, I do not think Gerba and Garcia are the answer - throwing big DP money for a player because they are a name is BS. Let's see a plan for the future of this team and line-up, give me a clue where this team is going.

I have no allegiance to anyone other than the game of football. I can call it like I see and will continue to do so because I know if I was reading this I would rather take in an honest perspective (whether I agree with it or not) than read some shit from guy who is trying to please a certain demographic or stay in someone's good books.

So in summary, De Ro is the man, I will save the daggers to MLSE for here and here, and even though it's the worst thing you can do at BMO field outside of the south end, I will stand up and cheer for the TFC - East side!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

this blog rules go on mine at www.gtjw.blogspot.com

Anonymous said...

keep up the bloging