Saturday, October 24, 2009

A night at the pub


Well it's been another crazy week. At least I was able to get a sweet vid up for all to see. But gotta keep moving along and keep up the football hustle. Last night was a good one were once again I got to spend some time on AM980 with the man who knows all sports, Norman James. Norman put together a timely panel of myself, a Reds supporter here and abroad, with his good friend Mike Boothman a ManU supporter leading up to the massive match this Sunday.

It went pretty well but it's hard to hold your ground as a Canadian boy through and through who grew up on a steady diet of hockey and baseball and didn't get into football until I was in my teens. It's one thing to talk about the history of your club, but it's completely different when you were actually there to follow them as it happened, as Mike has done.

Norman promised me no curveballs but when he asked me (along the lines of) historically why Liverpool is better than ManU it kinda threw me for a loop. Using what I mentioned above about when I started to follow Liverpool, which was during the Fowler then into Owen era, well it's kinda hard to argue how great Liverpool is - especially compared to ManU. I would feel a bit ... phoney? going on how great they are and titles won in the 70s and 80s that I had no idea were happening at that time. Ask me about the Leafs and Jays from '82 on, ok then, but for me to be honest about my club and my support towards them, I feel like I can really only comment on what I've actually seen. I'm proud to call myself a Liverpool supporter and as I found out earlier this year my link to them is more than an exciting goal scorer or Champion's League title.

I wanted to throw out one more story of being a supporter of Liverpool, but didn't have time. It would have been perfect. My first game at BMO Field (2007 keep in mind) I was walking through the concourse when this stout, grouchy guy in a ManU shirt says to me as I walk by "SHIT SHIRT MATE". I thought it was kinda funny given we were at a TFC game so as I walked back to my seats I saw him again and said, "Hey nice kit MATE. Better luck in Champions League next year, eh?" he came back with something like, "Champions of England! AGAIN!" so my only comeback was "Hey that's great, you can have England, we'll take EUROPE." (Woops I spoke too soon on that one!) By now there are two security guards watching this conversation (bear in mind there was definitely more jibber jabber going on) then he had a doozy where he said "You know what's the best part of being from Liverpool? FORTY-FIVE MILES FROM GREATNESS." Ouch. My only comeback was "Or you could say YOU are forty-five miles from seeing what it takes to beat Chelsea!" (They had just lost the FA Cup that morning to Chelsea). Anyway I had a laugh but he clearly hated me. I'm pretty sure that wasn't Mike Boothman.

With that in mind, Liverpool won at home last year without Gerrard and Torres starting. And didn't have Glen Johnson. So much negativity circling the club they need a massive effort from some unlikely players. COME ON YOU REDS.

2 comments:

Rick said...

C'mon ManU....sorry Ian ;)

Great show last night btw.

Norman James said...

And you're the all-time appearance leader. We didn't into that either. Great stuff Friday night. Chat soon.